Tuesday 29 April 2014

Dont Cry For Me Argentina!!

Just attended a tasting hosted by Lawrie of Las Bodega Wines, on all things Argentina.
I knew I liked some Argentine wines, having done a bit of work for Gaucho's management team (for their CAU brand) in the past, I'd managed to sample some pretty good Malbec. I'd also had some cheapo Torrontes at various events and was never really disppointed by their fresh charm.
However... Recently, my red wine taste had gone off the boil. My rack at home was always kitted out with off-dry whites with a few heavy lees whites chucked in too. I've always enjoyed a Reserva Rioja, but apart from that, red wine was falling down in my estimations. A sweeping statement I know. 
**Cue Malbec**
We all know of it. Some for its ridiculous over extraction of inky purpleness that shines well past its childhood years, others for its huge tannins that leave you gurning after every drop. The other thing which it brags is its velvet style mouthfeel and roundness that oozes class and quality. This was the thing that I had forgotten about in well made reds, I hadn't sampled that soft style in months, and I hadnt even realised! If you combine softness with altitude-acidity and pioneering viticultural practises you achieve an Argentine Malbec. If like me you've left red wines behind or are beginning to prefer whites, then buck your ideas up, get down to your local wine gaff and buy an Argentine Malbec. They do it too well. And ask for Uco Valley. Thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment